Multi-pitch Lead Climbing
The two-day Multi-pitch Lead Climbing Course is aimed at any climber who is currently climbing multi-pitch and wants to refine their skills or a climber leading single pitch climbs who wants to step into the world of multi-pitch climbing. The course looks at the skills taught to guides and covers a myriad of techniques aimed at making you a more efficient and more competent multi-pitch climber. The course will also get some great climbs in too!
“I wanted to share the techniques and skills that I teach on Guide training courses with recreational climbers so I created the Multi-pitch Lead Course. This course is unique as it looks at the approach to climbing multi-pitch rock terrain the same way a guide is taught to. I guarantee you will love this course!” – Adam Fox
“I’ve been climbing for over 20 years and still learn new techniques when I spend a day with Fox Mountain Guides”. – Tom Gallo
- The key skill: TRANSITIONS, moving from leader to belaying the second and back to leader (or swapping leads) quickly
- Guide book/topo interpretation and route finding skills
- Anchor considerations in multi-pitch terrain
- Belay station management, considerations and tricks to speed things up
- Belaying options: plates, locking devices and hitches. Redirects, direct and indirect belays
- Rope management and working with the single rope
- Dealing with terrain problems such as traverses, roofs, arêtes, climbing and protecting these features for the leader and second
- Climbing equipment selection: the climbing rack and extra equipment that should be carried on a multi-pitch climb
- Multi-pitch rappelling considerations
Applicants must have taken our Single Pitch Lead Course or can traditional lead 5.7 climbs, rappel, and have experience building artificial and natural anchors.
Number on course: Maximum of 6:1 client to instructor ratio
Course length: Two days
Course dates:This course is scheduled when requested. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a date.
2: $500 per person (two to one instructor, two days)
1: $650 per person (one to one instructor, two days)
*The costs are based on the actual number of participants on the course. Courses normally run at 3+ people but in the event the courses run with less people the costs will be as shown above. Participants that do not wish to take the course with low numbers (because of the cost) can change their course to another date. The upside to lower numbers is of course a more personal course.